June 24, 2010

Nothing to write about...

So, since CCP blueballed us for the past 24hrs, and I have no stories, I figured I would answer a question I got from an EVEplayer.

The questions was along the lines of "How did you survive the first couple months of EVE, and what are some lessons to learn?"

I look back to just over a year ago and EVE seems like a different game. I understood things in a very different way than I do now.

I guess the first thing to do when you start playing the game is to choose a path. What I mean by that is, choose what you want to focus on. PVP, Manufacturing, transportation, etc. This is hugely important, because it allows you to set a training path. One of the reasons I got off to a rocket start is that I knew I was going to play this game to shoot people or not play it at all. Coming from RTS games the action was important. I never used EVEMON until recently (and still barely at all), but I analytically planned out my training in my head. My focus was firstly on specific shiptypes that I wanted to fly and the associated skills required to fly said ships. The second was looking at said skills and saying "which ones will benefit me if trained first?"

For instance, in training Amarr recently, I trained all the skills for medium pulse and beam laser specializations and energy emission systems prior to training Amarr Cruiser V. Whats the point in a 20 day training when I can't properly fit the hull?

Look beyond the core and tertiary skills needed for ships. There are other skills that are crucial to success even though you can get into a hull without them. Flying a Drake with poor shield skills is dumb. Flying a Geddon with poor armor skills is dumb. Don't overextend the shiptypes you can fly without working on capacitor skills, navigation skills, mechanic skills, etc. Those skills are the best, because they apply to EVERY ship you fly. Don't jump the gun; often it will lead to an ugly lossmail.

Remember that just because you have chose a specific path in EVE, you are free to change at any time. Sure, its a pain in the ass, but its an option you always have. If you are a pirate and want to go carebear you can (I will make fun of you). If you are a carebear and want to go pirate, you can (I will give you props). If you are in high sec and want to move to null-sec, you can (although you may have to go through less skilled pet corps to do so).

Be patient. Patient with yourself, patient with your progress. You aren't going to jump into a major 0.0 alliance right away. You have to start low and work your way up (unless you know someone with an in). Don't get down on yourself. You are going to die. You will lose ships. The important thing is, did you learn anything when you died? If so, great, progression. If not.... think harder.

Don't mind old vets, many of whom are bitter. I've said it a million times and will repeat myself: Just because you are a new player doesn't make you bad/terribad. This may be accurate in many cases, but there are plenty of new players that are sharp and intelligent. There are also plenty of really old players who suck. The advantage tenured players have is skillpoints, which open up different hulls/weapons and allow those ships to operate more efficiently. But I have seen some crazy lossmails, with various noob ships on them killing much larger/more expensive ships.

Lastly, don't trust anyone you don't know in EVE. In most cases, don't trust anyone in EVE at all. Never give anyone money in "loans" or "returns for investment" or anything along those lines, and study every contract very carefully before accepting. EVE is allowed to run with very few rules, which makes it fun. But don't be the one getting the short stick, get the long stick. Those that have the long stick can beat other people over the head with it.

That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It working music to my ears " what good is training a 20 day skill when you cannot fit guns on your hull. oh what sweet poetry! kick ass and take name bro!