Last night I participated in a small roam to Fountain Core. One of our guys was looking to FC so I went along as an observer/trainer and ten of us set off. Some things I observed and realize newer FCs may struggle with:
1. Details. Details are good, and details can be bad. When dealing with specific situations that require delicacy, be very specific. For example, when I am having someone set up spots for sniping off gate I will give a specific location and distance "140 off gate directly above". When I am telling someone to makes safes in system I will simply say go make safes.
2. Tying into #1. When moving, make sure you have a destination. Keep it under 15 jumps. If traveling long distances break down the destinations. Don't get too detailed with traveling, "jump in. align. warp. ok jump. align. warp. Simply have fleet move to destination. If scout yells, fleet stops. If fleet starts straggling, hold until its back together. Fleet warping, unless you are escorting a freighter, is stupid. Sure it looks cool but it takes twice as long to get anywhere. Keep it simple for your guys.
3. Tying into #2. Keep fleet together. Last night we had our gang way to spread out. A gang, especially a smaller one, should stick together. When you spread out you run the chance of the feelers, stragglers, etc getting picked off. Or worse, because so many guys are scattered the main group is weak and gets attacked. You should have a scout, maybe two. If camping gate, have one pair of eyes on other side and fleet altogether on the gate. Scout should, preferably, be in a dictor cloaked. That way if target lands, gets wise and tries to warp off, you have dictor bubble his trash.
4. Tying into #3. Always have a scout. Always. Scouts save your bacon. Depending on gang size and composition sometimes you want a dictor as scout, sometimes you want a ceptor and sometimes you want a cloaky. But you always want a scout.
5. Lastly. Move. Unless you are camping you are moving. When in your own space this is less crucial, but when in hostile territory you must keep moving. When you slow down or stop you give the enemy a chance to mobilize. Be unpredictable in your movements and try to stay out of dead end systems/dead end pipes that will trap you. Blitzkrieg.
These are just a few things I was thinking about at the moment.
That is all.
Back in the Sadae, I Mean, Saddle
1 month ago